Saturday, April 16, 2005

Katmandu days

More from Steve Taylor in Nepal:

Arrived safely after 13 hours of flying only to find that one of my bags had been sent somewhere else....hey ho!! I did get it back some 1/2 a day later but very worrying all the same as it had all my mountain kit in.

Settled down quickly, especially as my friends had already done the donkey work and so all I had to do was turn up.

Met up with our mountain guides today very friendly and looking forward to the climb....but that is not until the 28th. Fly out to Lukla tomorrow to start the long haul up to Chukhung, very exciting.

Spent today wandering around Thamel and Katmandu experiencing some of the wonderful temples, food and local sites also. Had the fortune (or mis-fortune perhaps) of seeing a cremation ceremony (a very public spectacle over here) and enjoyed the
thought that I have trod in the steps of Mr Michael Palin.

Also meet Alan Hinkes in one of the climbing shops - he is Britain's top climber who is just about to start his latest venture - his 14th 8000m peak which, if successful,
will make him the first British climber to conquer all 14 8000+m peaks in the world...a privilege indeed.

Not too sure when I will be able to chat again but will do so when I can.

There is not mobile phone service out here due to the local Maoists taking the service out in Feb and there remains a turf war to see who controls what - so no service which means that I have less contact than I imagined.

Never mind...the comfort of my bed calls as I have an early start tomorrow.

So 'til the next time.

Best regards,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment

Uphill Battle Tour

For their autumn tour Jack and Richard chose two Moulton bicycles to ride from near Oswestry, Shropshire to Lewes in Sussex. Rupert to join ...